- Temporal processing and neuronal representations in the auditory system
(Benda, Grothe, Herz, Leibold, Wiegrebe)
- Electrosensation and communication and weakly electric fish
- Early development and differentiation of neural structures in insects
- Vocal communication and hearing in fishes
- Synaptic signalling in the olfactory bulb
- Experience-dependent development of the mammalian auditory system
- Learning and memory in the hippocampal formation and the olfactory system
- Sensory-motor transformation of locomotion-related signals
(Straka, Branoner, Chagnaud)
- Neuronal processing and representation in the visual system
- Echolocation in bats
- Comparative anatomy and development of central nervous system and sensory organs in fish
Experimental methods: 3-D-lasermicrosopy, free-field studies, immunohistochemistry, in vitro and in vivo electrophysiology, laser ablation of identified cells, molecular biology, psychophysics, whole embryo and cell culture, two-photon laser scan microscopy, calcium imaging.
Theoretical methods: advanced data analysis techniques, computer simulations, mathematical modelling.